Monday, October 13, 2008

Jumanji

That's right. Jumanji. Struck by a wave of nostalgic whimsy, I located and watched the 1995 film Jumanji, starring Robin Williams and (I had forgotten this) a twelve-year-old Kirsten Dunst. The movie came out at what I'd like to call the peak of Robin Williams' career. While researching the film for this article, I found that Robin Williams was in Dead Poets Society (#10 in 1989), Hook (#6 in 1991), Aladdin (#1 in 1992), Mrs. Doubtfire (#2 in 1993) and Jumanji (#7 in 1995). In case you don't see what I'm getting at, those are box office numbers. He was the star in at least five top-ten movies in the span of about five years. And in case you don't remember, those films are all awesome. But that's enough about the has-been (prove me wrong, Robin). The film is just as cool as you remember it (given that you've seen it in the past). It has CGI monkeys, enormous mosquitoes, an animatronic lion, man-eating crocodiles, and a scene where a Crown Vic is crushed and dragged away by sentient vines.

The film has everything an adventure movie should; namely, CGI monkeys. Beyond that, all you'll get is my glowing recommendation to get your hands on a copy of this movie ASAP. There's also a monkey-boy and a deranged hunter in a pith helmet with little to no character motivation. Just a big gun. 8/10.

"I don't know why, I just really want to kill this guy. No reason, just irks me is all. Plus, I hated Man Of The Year."

Also, here's a band I normally dislike, Flight Of The Conchords.

No comments: