Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Badass Of The Week

For those of you not familiar with the Society for Creative Anachronism, or SCA, you'll need some background. Essentially, the SCA is the organization who popularized the concept of the "living history" Renaissance Faire in modern culture. While being popular for re-creating the Middle Ages "as they ought to have been", many facets of the organization attempt to be as accurate as possible in its re-creation. While the hierarchical layout of the SCA is fairly in-depth and authentic, the cool part is really the knights. Yeah, there are knights who can apparently win tournaments to become kings of their respective kingdoms, which spread over the North American continent (I live in the Kingdom of Atlantia). At least this is how I understand it. There's a lot of material, and I'm not invested deeply enough to read all of the rules.

Any-old-way; way back in the day, one of the first female knights in the SCA was walking home from an event taking place in The East Kingdom (NYC). Along the way, she was apparently mugged by a man who pulled a knife on her, claiming that he had "six inches of steel" that said she'd give up her money. Drawing her sword, she quips "I'll see your six and raise you thirty-five."

There's no denying that the above is a kickass story (regardless of its validity; I can't find more than one source on this). In this woman's honor, I present the newest bookmark on my toolbar, Badass Of The Week. Which is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. My choices are Egil Skallagrimsson (poet and Viking. VIKING), Australia, the Hanta Virus, and my favorite: Molly the Cow. Also, the site is totally NSFW for language.

Have a spectacular day.

No comments: