Sunday, July 27, 2008

Mashups

Sifting through the unsorted area of my iTunes library, I found a song entitled "Marshall's Been Snookered", something I thought deserved discussion here. I then saw that I had already mentioned it. However, the song led me down some alleys of musichood that I found rather interesting, into the grand world of mashups. The above song is Eminem's "Without Me" separated from its musical tracks and superimposed onto a ragtime song, a blend that surprisingly works. Songs like it are rare, as this popular "A vs B" musical style usually uses two well-known songs instead of a generic genre. For example, the arguably best-known mashup is "Boulevard Of Broken Songs", a track encapsulating Green Day's "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams", Oasis' "Wonderwall", Travis' "Writing To Reach You", and Aerosmith's "Dream On" (The first version used Eminem's "Sing For The Moment", which was actually sampled from "Dream On"). The song was made by the inimitable Party Ben, but to be honest, that is far from his best work. Here's his page. I would also recommend Daft Punk vs Nirvana's "Smells Stronger". From DJ Mei-Lwun comes probably one of the most ambitious projects I've heard in the day I've been doing this: "Sweet Home Country Grammar". It's the greatest Lynyrd Skynyrd vs Nelly song I've ever heard, so there's no reason not to listen to it. It also happens to be my favorite. To finish up, we have this playlist. Over 2000 songs, so grab them up before someone else does (that's how the internet works, right?).

No comments: