Monday, May 19, 2008

One Hit Wonders And Apologies

I love one hit wonders. It offers a glimpse into an artist's general feel, but it only displays the best of whatever they have to offer. If I were to get the "feel" of The Beatles, I'd have to listen to about ten albums. The albums are all great, but I think I'd prefer to listen to one song and get the same effect. That said, here are some fabulous one hit wonders. A few posts ago, I recommended Mungo Jerry's In The Summertime. That recommendation stands (just thought I'd mention it again for some reason). I'd also like to throw in some Afternoon Delight, By the Starland Vocal Band; Chumbawumba's Tubthumping ("I get knocked down, but I get up again"); Mary Hopkin's Those Were The Days; Coven's One Tin Soldier; Blue, by Eiffel 65; Thin Lizzy's The Boys Are Back In Town; Looking Glass's Brandy (You're A Fine Girl); Buffalo Springfield's Stop, Hey, What's That Sound; Bananarama's Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye (I love this song SO MUCH); One Night In Bangkok, from the musical Chess; and the hippie anthem, Scott McKenzie's San Fransisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair).

To move on to a more sober topic, I'd like to extend my sincere apologies to The Beastie Boys. I was uncharacteristically harsh on them, and I'd like Ad-Rock, Mike D, MCA and the inimitable Mix Master Mike to all accept my deepest regret. I mean, the last thing I'd want is for them to come by my place waving a piece all up in my grill. Nah, I'm just playin'. The Boys and me go way back. Seriously.

No comments: