Friday, March 7, 2008

Superbowl XL Opus MVP Edition

I was just looking around today for a copy of a play I saw a year or two ago. Just a paperback book. I COULD NOT find a copy of this play that was selling for less than $100. It's ridiculous, but it got me wondering what the most expensive book is. Deciding to discount rarities like Gutenberg Bibles, I searched Amazon Books, sorting by price. Among over ten pages of bizarre financial tomes with names like "Worldwide Application Development & Deployment and System Infrastructure Software Market Forecaster: 2004-2008 Forecast Update", I found the SUPERBOWL XL OPUS MVP EDITION (Leather Bound)!

Alright. This 80-pound book (heaviest sports book ever, apparently) has a page of signatures from every (living) MVP in Superbowl history. While I don't deny that's impressive, allow me to continue. It has pictures and play-by-play descriptions of every single Superbowl (and all their players). Also pretty impressive. It has 850 20-inch-square pages. Yes, lovely, but who's going to pay $40,000 dollars for a book?

That's FORTY THOUSAND AMERICAN DOLLARS.

Honestly. I'm a little disappointed. I expected the most expensive book ever to be the world's most comprehensive medical text or something. Instead, it's about a bunch of guys who run into each other for a living. It has a website and everything.

Now I feel a little bad about posting this. This post is just weak. Forget I ever mentioned it. While you're here, though, take a look at this Gene Simmons bass guitar I found on eBay. It's shaped like an axe.

It's autographed and everything.

No comments: