Friday, September 26, 2008

When Falcon Punches Collide

Last night, I saw Kung Fu Hustle. It is by far the best martial arts movie based on Tom & Jerry I've ever seen. It includes, among other things, a woman screaming loud enough to tear the clothes off of two blind musician/assassins (and later using a megaphone of sorts to demolish an establishment with people inside), a man getting beaten up by an accountant on a public bus, the same man being kicked into outer space, and a scene I have actually wanted to see forever: a man having his face punched through the floor of a building. Repeatedly. Of course, the entire movie is liberally sprinkled with "boing"-esque sound-effects, causing you to wonder if you're watching a Hong Kong martial arts film or just hallucinating from lack of sleep (At one point I actually thought this. I had to get up and walk around a while). I can neither recommend nor condemn this film. It's just too wacky.

No comments: