Friday, July 18, 2008

These Are Jokes

I like to think I have something of a sophisticated sense of humor, I don't like the Farrelly brothers or anything with Ben Stiller. Don't get me wrong, a well-placed fart joke can work wonders. But you have to frame it correctly. Mike Meyers seems to think you can just expel fluid of some kind and automatically win at comedy; it doesn't work like that. Which is why I was skeptical when a close friend recommended a video on YouTube. I'd never heard of Demetri Martin, but the several previously recommended videos had all been clips from MadTV, and while viewing them I felt like digging up George Carlin's corpse to revive it; hopefully bringing back the concept of "funny" along with him (I spent all my grant money from the "Tesla Fund for Mad Scientists" on island fortresses and Igor was vacationing in Seychelles, so that wasn't really a viable option). What I got instead was over ten solid minutes of material that made me laugh. After watching Carlos Mencia or even the opening credits for abominations like the insufferable Bernie Mac Show, I become incensed. There is much snarling and rending of garments and gnashing of teeth. It gets pretty ugly. But this Demetri Martin not only made me chortle, but made me laugh. That's serious. The clip in question was a simple vocal track overlaid with a horrible slideshow filled with the dumb pictures and horrendous spelling you'd expect from your average YouTuber. So after some searching, I found the album that the track was from. And so, after that unnecessarily long and boring piece of expository writing, I come to the crux of the matter: These Are Jokes. Yes they are, Demetri. Yes they are. Oh, and the track was The Jokes With Guitar. Listen to it. It's genuinely funny.

No comments: