Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Googlewhack

I first heard of this little trend on some news show. It must have been a slow day, because they had a man in the studio who claimed to have invented a grand new pastime; that of the Googlewhack. Quite simply, it's a game where you type two words into the Google search bar with the hope of getting only one result. As surprisingly hard as that might sound at first, it gets a good deal worse. The rules stipulate that a) the words must both be actual words as defined by Google's dictionary, and b) it CANNOT BE A WORDLIST. This rule is shockingly hard to accommodate. You'll think "Yes! Finally! After hours and hours I got one!" only to see that the page is just an alphabetical listing of words. Who does that? Why would you ever just list hundreds upon hundreds of words? Anyway, In the hours and hours I put into this project, I only managed to get one. It's slightly slack because Google recognizes "pan-dimensional" but not "pandimensional". I ask you, is it so hard to just be happy for me, Google? Can you make an effort? Anyway, the beauty of me putting it up here ("Pyroclastic Pandimensional") is that it now has two hits on Google, rendering it unusable for anyone but me. Ha.

Anyway, should you happen to find one, you can submit it here. That list is effectively a graveyard for these little Internet wonders; for in a twist of Hemingwayesque tragedy, their discovery is their death.

No comments: