Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Bravery

Let me tell you how this place runs. I find a new artist, then I load them on my iPod and listen to them on the way home, taking notes. When I get home, I start up Firefox and write about them. Let me tell you, this works really well when you enjoy the artist, but when you run into something as bad as The Bravery, it makes you cringe.

Now, The Bravery is a band, and also the name of their self-titled first release. As an artist, they rock okay, sounds kinda like Arcade Fire or U2. But this first album of theirs... Ewww. It's just mediocre. Not exactly terrible, just lukewarm. Thing is, I enjoy listening to terrible music. Makes me laugh. Gives me a reason to get up in the morning. But I can't handle this tepid slop. But enough of that. On to their most recent album, The Sun And The Moon. It starts off strong with one of the better (and certainly more popular) tracks, Believe. Dips for the next few, hitting the bottom of the barrel with Every Word Is A Knife In My Ear, with the extremely uninspired chorus (and first lines) "Every word from your mouth is a knife in my ear, every thought in your head is like poison to hear." ... Ewww. Let this be a lesson to you aspiring songwriters. Don't ever write something as bad as that, ever. The album then reaches a plateau with the songs Fistful of Sand, Angelina and Split Me Wide Open. All of these songs follow the same progression and lyrical path, but if you listen to them all together it almost sounds like one song. It's not a very good song though.

"So," you ask me. "Why write such a detailed review of a band you don't even like?" Good question, guys. Good question.

No comments: