Monday, April 21, 2008

Plan 9 From Outer Space

Wow. I just finished watching probably one of the greatest bad films in existence. I've seen Reefer Madness, I've seen Hobgoblins, and I've even seen Gigli (not really. I don't have a death wish), but the king of all bad films is Ed Wood's classic Plan 9 From Outer Space. Yes, Hobgoblins was worse, but good luck finding a copy. And besides, it's more fun to watch Plan 9 because Ed Wood honestly thought he was making a masterpiece. The dialogue is poorly thought out, but filled with character. You'll watch incredulously as footage is shamelessly re-used; as actors fumble their lines and bump into scenery. Ed didn't care. One take was apparently good enough for him. I'm actually surprised I finished it, but eventually you hit a wall where you can just take in all the crap and not care anymore. It's not a movie that you enjoy, or even experience. It's a movie that happens to you.

If you don't have time, or just don't find it that funny, here are some guy's opinion of the best parts. He missed some good ones, but got the "solaranite" speech at 3:10. At first I thought it was "solenoid", but then I realized that "solenoid" was an actual word. "Solaranite" is much better.

No comments: