Monday, April 14, 2008

Dark Side Of The Moon

I was just quietly debating with myself, wondering what the top-selling album of all time was. Realizing that I live in the Information Age and no longer have to ponder quietly, I looked it up. Turns out that the Michael Jackson album Thriller has sold somewhere between 60 and 100 million copies since it was released in 1982, meaning it has gone platinum 27 times. That's a whole lot more than you realize. That's one CD for every three Americans (I think). Even I have a copy lying around here somewhere. Anyway, albums that sold only 40 million copies or so are in constant struggle for second place, and they include such masterpieces as AC/DC's Back In Black and The Eagles' Greatest Hits. Also, Backstreet Boys' Millennium. Yeah. Despite this, the one album that you will still see going for exorbitant sums in even the hippest music stores is Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon. If anyone knows why this is, feel free to tell me. It reached a certain point and all of a sudden, people started feeling compelled to listen to it while watching The Wizard Of Oz and record A Cappella renditions of the album that are accurate down to the very last second (seriously. It's uncanny). Well, I'm no philosopher, so just take the album and enjoy.

No comments: