Thursday, March 27, 2008

Wowio

Being overseas, I can't get access to a lot of new movies, books, or comics. Of course, the movies eventually make their way to theaters here, and there are a couple English bookstores here (OK, just one). Of course, I could just order comics on Amazon, but I like to be able to peruse them at my leisure and make up my mind about whether or not I want to shell out ridiculous sums of money to own them. Enter Wowio. It's a free service that provides hundreds of comics' first couple issues absolutely free. I have found it an invaluable tool on deciding whether or not to purchase a certain book. Here's the kicker (especially for those not interested in comics (I'm betting... most of you)). They also have books. And lots of books. I'm halfway through Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle, a book I should have read a while ago. It's really good. Seriously. I'm not sure how they're doing it, but I'm totally down with free legal reading material. Check it out here. You need an account, but it's, you know, free.

1 comment:

K E said...

WOWIO says:
To our international friends…

Due to variations in copyright laws and rights
restrictions on many of the books on this site,
WOWIO is currently only available to people
living in the United States.

Our long-term goal is to make all books
available to everyone on the planet for free.
In the meantime, we ask for your patience.

We do make an exception for United States military
and government personnel serving abroad. If you
have an email address ending in .mil or .gov, please
click here to set up an account.

If you are a resident of the United States and
feel you are getting this message in error,
please contact us.