Monday, March 3, 2008

Nerdcore

I don't like rap, but I do like novelty music. This leaves me in something of a quandary when it comes to Nerdcore hip-hop or Geeksta rap. From those two names, I'm quite sure you can extrapolate the particulars of this genre. If not, Wikipedia defines it as: "a subgenre of hiphop characterized by themes and subject matter considered to be of general interest to nerds." Ah. Wikipedia. A Geek's Opinion, Presented As Fact.

At any rate, a fair number of nerdcore songs are available free, so here's my personal picks (I thought that this blog, for all its claims of "oddio," has been lacking music-wise). First off, YTCracker (pronounced "whitey cracker") holds a special place in my heart. He was the first geeksta artist I ever heard. Here's his free CD: "Nerdrap Entertainment System" (or NES. Heh). I can only link to the whole CD, even though the only good track is the first, "Meganerd."

Next up, we have probably the most famous geeksta, mc chris. And here's his first CD "Life's a Bitch and I'm Her Pimp".

And sure, I'll give you some MC Frontalot. Fresh Dog, where he raps about his dog, Dog E. Fresh (somewhere, one other person is laughing at that. The rest of you will have to Google it and pretend you've known all along).

No comments: