Thursday, January 24, 2008

Conceptual Calligraphy

See that there? That says "Beauty is the Promise of Happiness." Pretty cool looking, huh? It's in English, too. It's a cipher, by which I mean it's a standard 26-letter Roman alphabet, but not with normal Roman characters. I'm not going to explain how to do it here, but I will tell you that I found this site last night and earlier this evening, I was writing whole sentences in this. So it's easy AND beautiful (reminiscent of Arabic or Chinese characters). Just in case you needed more evidence, here's another pic from the site (click to enlarge).

That's 20 variations on the word "Association." The preferred orientation of the letters is top to bottom, bringing to mind Douglas Hofstadter's font-related illustrations (BUY IT).

No comments: