Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Fractals

Math can be many things: boring, pointless, and a waste of your time. But dig this: it can also be beautiful.

Fractals are visual representations of a certain kind of mathematical formula, one that repeats itself over and over again. The math behind it can be complex if you don't know some basics, so I won't go into all of it here. Suffice it to say the results are breathtaking. I found a free application (It works with Mac OS X, Windows and all kinds of Linuxes, so you have no excuse) that provides real-time fractal zooming. XaoS (the app) can show you any part of any fractal at any depth or iteration (download it and you'll understand).

If you're unsure of whether or not it's worth your time, I am pleased to direct your attention to Blatte's Pages. Now, I'm not sure who Blatte is, but I do know that he/she/it/they design the best fractal art I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot. Here you go. The Fractals page is good, but the Backgrounds are the best.

P.S.: The pic is one of Blatte's. "Attraction", from the fifth background gallery. It's of the Mandelbrot set, the most famous fractal.

No comments: